Welcome to Mr. Downing's Math Class!
Thinking blocks link: click here
For remote learning 2.0, all of the Titans information will be stored on a team page, found here!
This team page has all of the Google classroom links, homework for the entire team, and information needed to start the year.
Here are my general rules (written before Covid, no need to sign) that goes over things like grading, supplies, homework, etc.
My page has (links at left):
- Remote Learning 2.0. This has the links for Zoom and Google, and helps explain remote learning 2.0. If you go to our team page, you don't really need this page as the information is duplicated. For expectations on remote learning clickhere
- Eureka Homework Links. While you have a book being sent home, all of the homework files are stored in this spot electronically.
- Tutorials. If you need to brush up on your 6th grade math, or are confused about how it is being taught nowadays, check out this link. It has videos of the 6th grade teachers explaining a multitude of topics. Kids and parents will benefit from this page.
- I Can Statements. This basically tells you what your 6th grader should know after each unit.
- Eureka. There are links to homework help and other various Eureka math topics.
I am Mr. Downing and have been at Antioch for 31 years. I taught 6th grade math for 8 years, then was the Director of Technology for 14. Missing the classroom, I came back 9 years ago and have been teaching 6th grade math ever since. I want the kids to enjoy coming to class and learn how math is and has been used to make our world great! This year will be challenging with remote learning, but if you all want to learn, everything will work out fine! I'm here to help!
I know you will all have a great time on the TEAM TITANS! We are looking forward to an exciting year. All of the homework will be listed under the team page. My TUTORIAL link gives access to tutorials for many of the topics that we will be covering.
MORE INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED ABOUT REMOTE LEARNING SOON! Below are items we will do soon, but don't worry about them yet.
For the homework calendar, click this link or click "Homework Calendar" on the left. This is homework for ALL of the Titan core subjects.
We are starting to use Prodigy, a game-based math program that helps meeting kids at their level of math. We will still use our curriculum, but if kids need a little catch-up, prodigy can help, and if kids want to accelerate, Prodigy can help. This can be used on ipads in class and at home. Also, normal computers will run this as well.
They will go to www.prodigygame.com and then use the class codes below. THEY NEED PARENT PERMISSION IF THEY HAVE NEVER USED PRODIGY BEFORE. If you used it last year, you can use the same login, and if you are new, you can create a new account.
1st hour: tba
We will also be using Khan Academy, a more focused program that helps kids meet their goals and raise test scores. We will still use our curriculum, but if kids need a little catch-up or wants to get ahead, Khan can help. Khan is a little less fun than Prodigy, but probably is better at raising scores.
They will go to www.khanacademy.org/join and then use the class codes below.
1st hour: tba